Allergy free Cheese! (soy free, dairy free, Vegan cheese)

Yes, that's right... you read it correctly. Dairy free, Soy free, Vegan CHEESE,by 2 different companies! Daiya and Galaxy foods! I have longed for cheese for a while now, and stumbled upon these little Jems while searching for food ideas. To be honest, I'm not even sure what I typed in google that got me to them, but SWEET MAN ALIVE, I don't care. haha.
Galaxy foods makes the brand "Rice Vegan", and they have both slices and cheese blocks! I found rice vegan a many of the health foods stores and a few regular grocers including winco! They have 3 flavors *Cheddar *American &*Mozzarella. I have to caution you. There are a few other brands that galaxy foods makes, and they are sold in the same spot as rice vegan. Make sure you read the labels carefully, as to ensure you are getting the ones without soy! I LOVE THIS CHEESE. Granted I haven't had real dairy in ages, but it really isn't bad. I use the cheddar slices for my burgers, and it's great. I do have to warn that it doesn't melt really great by just being put on the burger while on the grill. I normally zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it finally melts then. Otherwise it curls upward (I know, strange).
 Daiya is my second favorite... They have 3 different cheeses to choose from Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Pepper Jack! I've listed the info for each below, that I got from the Daiya website. :) Give it a try. They have a "where to buy" link on their page that will tell you where the nearest retailer is that carries it! Mine is just a few miles away! It's about 4.50-7.00 for a 2 cup bag of it, but I did see it at a regular grocery store, and it was 6.50 (ouch!). It melts GREAT. I would say that the mozzarella tastes like a combo of cheddar and mozzarella, but it's not bad. Made a Quesadilla with it, and I think I probably should have put bbq chicken and some salsa in to help with taste. By its self it's not the greatest thing in the world. The texture when melted is much like what you would get with a packaged "fake" cheese, you know, like "american" cheese that is meant for going on burgers kind of thing. It's not real oily like you would expect, but VERY stretchy. All in all, it's worth a try. I'm still yet to try the pepperjack, so if you try that one please let me know what you think. I'm not a spicy food kind of person. I chalk that up to the food restrictions giving me such a plain diet, but I'd love to hear some thoughts, especially for those who are looking for something with more flavor! As always, happy eating, and happy days!
xoxo, The Allergy Momma



No comments:

Post a Comment